Monday, June 18, 2007

Little Boy Humor

This morning we went to a birthday party for J's friend from his old preschool. We didn't know anyone at the party except the birthday boy and his parents.

The other party guests were kids and parents from the party boy's current school, which is a private Christian school. It is an extremely strict school (i.e. uniforms, discipline, etc) where they learn Latin in the second grade. The kids are not allowed to use slang or immature words like "boring." Instead, they are corrected and asked to use the word "mundane." And this is in Kindergarten! Yikes....

So, needless to say, we are already feeling a little out of place. Soon, the clown arrived to do her little show and she was pretending to make a cake. All the parents and kids were sitting lined up on the lawn watching intently. The clown asked the kids to raise their hands if they knew what ingredients were needed to bake a cake. Of course, they almost all raise their hands, including J. The clown calls on them one at a time. The first obedient child says "flour." Yes! The second perfect child says "eggs." Yes! The clown finally calls on J. He shouts, with gusto, "A poopy diaper!!" I swear you could have heard a pin drop. I slowly began slinking backwards into the crowd of open-mouthed parents. Maybe they wouldn't know he was my child...

The clown frowned and said "No, I don't think so" and quickly moved on...

On the way home, J opened his goodie bag which was filled with candy, stickers, pencils, etc. He started eating a piece of candy and, as he was halfway through, he started coughing and spitting it out on the car floor. Gross! I told him to hand me the rest of the piece of candy and I would throw it away if he didn't like it. He hands it to me and I look down to find that it wasn't candy at all.....it was an eraser!

Honestly, I don't know if we'll ever get invited or attend a birthday party in public ever again!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Guess my kids with their "sucks", "crap", and "You're not my mother" comments wouldn't have done so well there either. Honestly though, wouldn't you rather have a "real" kid who shouts out "poopy diapers", than some little weiner that will just be a nerd and make lots of money? :)

Elena said...

Ummm...guess I should clarify that I am only kidding, in case any of your friend's from the party read my comment. I'm only jealous because my kids don't know what "mundane" even means. :)

Tarah said...

Miss Elena,
Nerdy children who say mundane and ask others to "migrate to the play room" really are wonderful. I for one am glad.... Just kidding. My kid does say migrate, only because he chooses to. He also says corn diarhea as an insult. :) Jen, I would have been crawling away with you too.
T

Unknown said...

Way to go Jacob!! Grandma is so proud of you. You are unique. One of those words those other kids might know.

Elena said...

mmmmm...nothing like corn diarhea! :)

Anonymous said...

My sweeet, funny Jacob. Don't worry......Grammie thinks you are the funniest baby comedian on the planet!!!