Saturday, June 2, 2007

Camping at CJ Strike Reservoir

Well, we tried camping again.... I'm happy to report a much better experience overall! :) We went with Hubby's brother, R, his wife, S, and their two kids, Jubi (4) and Pip (1). They brought their pop-up tent trailer and we had our tent.

As we pulled up, Hubby spotted a "sweet spot" and we quickly overtook it. There was nice green grass, trees and a fire pit. We already had "camping neighbors" on both sides of it. Note to self.... Always check out your neighbors before landing a camping spot...

The kids hopped out of the car, excited to be set free, and immediately our neighbor on the left spots us and hurries over saying she "needs help really bad." She was probably in her late 40s, but looked very worn down, had the "smokers voice", and could have used a shower. But I hurried over to her and asked how we could help. She asked if we had any Benedryl with us because "he" was having an allergic reaction to something. I, of course, always carry Benedryl, so I went to get, came back and asked her if the dose was for an adult or child. She quickly points down and informs me, completely seriously, that it's for her....dog! I told her I wasn't sure how to dose an animal for "people" medicine and told her the age and weight chart on the back of the box probably wouldn't pertain to her dog, but feel free to try. The Benedryl was those thin meltaway strips that you put on the child's tongue to dissolve. So, sure enough, the lady is trying to coax her dog into taking the strip on the back of his tongue! How she knew he was having an allergic reaction is beyond me.... He looked like a normal healthy dog to me!

Meanwhile, on the right side of our camp, I notice their "party's just getting started!" Oh boy, this might be a long night.... They had their rock music pumped up and were yelling at, presumably, their kids to go to bed and stop talking. They partied most of the night....

The next morning, one of their kids (about age 9) comes knocking on our camper door, asking if we have paper towels because her dad was "barfing everywhere." Sick! This girl came back twice more asking for more paper towels because "he keeps throwing up." I peak out the side window to see/hear the wife? picking up and discarding empty beer bottles. Clink, clink, clink... as she drops each glass bottle into the trash bag. Gee, I wonder why daddy is so sick?

Other than our crazy neighbors, we had a great time together. The kids had a blast playing with their cousins in the tent, grass, and along the rocky shoreline. Daddy made BIG points by going to Fred Meyer the night before we left and buying two adult-size cots. Huge difference between the cot and lying on the ground on an old eggcrate mattress...

We took the boat out and went fishing. We caught about a dozen Croppie, but only took about 6 of the big ones home to cook for dinner. We are tired and still need to unpack, but it was certainly the best camping trip this year! :)

No comments: